How to make the most of any conference?
Attending conferences is an integral part of our professional life.
And it goes without saying that you want to have a pleasant and rewarding time every year. But this is unlikely to happen if you are not sure why you are attending, how to manage your time and what you want to learn from this experience.
In what ways can a conference be successful?
When you decide to attend a conference, there are two important questions to ask yourself:
– Does this event meet my knowledge and content objectives, and am I sure I will learn something from it?
– Can it help me to meet my relationship goals? In other words, will I meet new people and expand my network?
Let’s see how all conference participants can benefit from professional events.
As a visitor
– Learning. This is probably the most obvious reason to attend a conference. People are eager to benefit from the experience and knowledge of experts, but also to be inspired by their ideas. However, it is important to be strategic in planning your days. Conferences are full of sessions and presentations, so think carefully, review the program and choose what is best for you.
– Meet with experts. Conferences are the best place to get in touch with experts in your field. You can get useful information and learn more about the big names in your sector.
– Develop your network. Today, networking is a powerful tool to achieve your professional and personal goals. At a conference, you can make new connections, meet people who may share the same interests and work in areas similar or complementary to your own. It is an excellent way to support, strengthen and extend your network.
As a sponsor of the event
– Represent your product and brand. Sponsorship can be a great marketing strategy if it is thought out properly. Attending an event is important, but sponsorship puts your company and brand in front of a captive audience. But remember, you won’t be the only one. Make sure you get the most out of yourself.
– Talk to potential customers. By sponsoring different events, companies seize the opportunity to get their message across to an audience. It is an excellent way to increase brand awareness and create a relationship of trust with prospects and potential customers.
– Get customer feedback. Some companies distribute free samples and offer trial versions in exchange for feedback. They thus obtain very useful information enabling them to adapt to the needs and desires of their target group.
– Build capacity. Speaking in public allows you to develop useful and important skills: you learn to convince and argue, strengthen your courage and self-confidence.
– Strengthen your professional credibility. Speaking at conferences, large and small, enhances your credibility. If you have amazing and interesting things to say, the audience will listen to you, talk to others in your area and share your presentation. This is an opportunity to demonstrate your expertise and establish your authority among other experts.
– Personal branding. Conferences can enhance your brand. But don’t forget that you can’t leave immediately after you finish your presentation. You need to spend time meeting new people and interact with your listeners and other stakeholders.
To prepare for your attendance at the next conference, we offer a checklist of things to do.